Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Sisterhood

I was out on Saturday night with an amazing group of women. I love deep conversations, a comfortable atmosphere and leaving feeling so inspired just to have been around these people. I realize how much I miss hanging with my girlfriends! Not just any girlfriends, the ones who you can completely be yourself with, share anything, be open, candid and vulnerable without a worry in the world. The ones who support you, ones you feel confident and energized around.
At dinner on Saturday night I was asked who I like as far as other women at the kids' school. I thought that this question was kind of weird, one that would create an incredible gossip session. I decided to turn it around though, and my friend meant it to mean, "who do I have and feel true connections with at the school." It made me think about people in a broader scope. I answered with only three names, the ones I connect with as "sisters" not just "mom talk" friends and acquaintances (this kind of talk bores me to pieces and feels so surface to be honest.) But then I started thinking about all the other women I really like and enjoy in my life. Just by doing this exercise made me feel so much more connected and realized that surrounding myself with friends I have incredible and endearing relationships with is something I want to do more of.
Soooo, mushy Lisa is now planning a "celebrate the incredible women in my life party." A party for my "sisters." Not just a girls night, but a night to celebrate my friendships with women who are so important to me. I can't wait!
Just wish that I can bring in my dear friends who live far away to celebrate too!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I know what you mean! I also have some relationships that are very superficial and I don't enjoy them as well. I love it when I find someone that I really connect with. It's nice to have special friends like that!