Sunday, July 6, 2008

There's a message here...

What's in the message? My dear friend Kristin always says, "there is a lesson to be learned, what is the message here?" when things get tough or just so challenging that we sometimes want to run, but can't because if we don't face the hard stuff, the message won't be found and the lesson wasted.

So I hurt my knee once, and learned a lot then in the midst of depression, about cherishing my family, enjoying the moment and not worrying about missing something with friends because I had something to enjoy here at home. Well, I guess I forgot the lesson and had to be reminded again...

Here I am rehabbing the same injury and surgery a year and a half later, learning the same lesson and internalizing the same message through a little wiser and mature mind, I am almost in my mid 30's now, I have to mature at some point. I guess I needed a kick in the ass, or a tear of the ACL (literally) to see it more clearly.

And what do I see? I see friends who may come and go and come and go again, in a sport where people are constantly disappearing and reappearing, and a husband and family who are here to stay. I need to make sure I am connected with them before I go off on an adventure. I need to make sure Robert and I are ok and check in because unfortunately I can be real selfish and forget about how wonderful and grateful I am that he is my husband and that his feelings really matter.

On the other hand, I need to make sure that I am balanced within myself, because thinking about my family all the time and less about my needs isn't the answer either. So what is the message? Life is too short to throw all of myself into one sport and think that all of my needs will be fulfilled by this one practice. The sport fulfills me, but not all of me. This is what I need to remember.

So what do I do? I rehab my knee and come back strong! I remember that as my climbing friends come and go, I also come and go too and that it's ok. I climb my hardest and best when I am able to get out and if I can't get out, I don't sulk, I train instead, because when I do and can get out, I can crush because I will have trained and trained hard. We want to build a gym in the garage and not just any gym, but a gym that trains the whole body in a fun, motivating and spirited way, together as a family with friends included!

When I forget the message, b/c I am sure there will be many times that I will, I need to remember that friends come and go as I am doing now, but my incredible family is here in the now. I will get to climb, I will get that fulfillment and look forward to the days that I can...
I really can't wait to boulder hard and strong again!! With a balanced mind and attitude, I can be stronger!

2 comments:

CA HEWITT FAMILY said...

I am glad you had your eyes open to see the message. It is an important one. :)

Carrie said...

That's a great message for all of us! We sure missed you last weekend! Hope you are back on your feet again soon!