Friday, July 11, 2008

A moment- that came full circle in about 24 hours

Oh my, where do I start...

Kellan went to a friends for a sleepover last night and the friend's sister came to our house for a sleepover (Raya is friends with the sister, kids are all the same age.) At 9:30pm we get a call:
"Hi mommy...(silence)"
"Hey buddy! Good night, I love you!"
"um, ok..." and then the tears started flowing.
Kathy (friends mom), "hey, what do you what to do?"
"He'll regret it later if I pick him up."
"I'll go for another 15 minutes and call."
"sounds good."

15 minutes later...
"Hey Lisa, come and get him."
"What's up?"
"Well, he did fall asleep, but now he's downstairs with me again and wants to go home."
"I'll come over and see..."

3 minutes later (bet you didn't know Kathy is our "behind the fence neighbor" as we all so endearingly call each other..)
"Mommy, I want to sleep at home."
"Are you sure, if we leave, you can't change your mind and come back."
"Oh I know and I am sure."
"ok then..."

3 minutes later...
"I just wanted to sleep at home"
"That's fine. Love you, good night."

roughly 8 hours later- 6am yes, 6am, the little _______ (fill in the blank)...
In my face I wake up to, "I'm ready to go back..."
Here we go I think to myself. Oh no, the shit is about to hit the fan at 6am, I am not ready to deal with the wrath that my seven year old is to set upon us for the next hour and a half- you read the time right- hour and a half! As I said, you fill in the blank.

"Well Kellan, you chose to come home. It is 6am, please do not wake the girls, you can lay down with us until we get up."
and here we go...
"NOOOOOO! I am going back to Andrew's NOWWWWWWWW! I am ready to go back, you can't make me stay here, you are stupid!"
and here goes Robert still calm at this point...
"Umm dude, it is 6am, lay down with me and we'll talk about it."
"I WANT TO GO BACK!!!! You are an idiot!" Kellan has not taken responsibility for his choice yet obviously, and is surely not planning to anytime soon-it is just too hard a lesson to learn, but it is 6am and I am NOT HAPPY EITHER! He is irrational and there is no getting through his thick skull (well really thick hair) at this point, he really is lucky b/c again, I am thoroughly pissed!

And this goes on and on and on, he is sent to his room screaming, and then back in our room screaming- we have to shut windows and just hope that the girls are still sleeping- they went to bed at ten and need their beauty rest, b/c Raya at 4pm without her sleep is not a beauty!

Kellan FINALLY settles about an hour later and comes into our room calmly (his new tactic at this point) telling us to let him go back b/c it isn't fair that he is with girls. Of course we say something to the effect of no, in our nice calm words as well, and the
@#$% hits the fan again for another 15 minutes, until he realizes he has indeed woke the girls, mom and dad are mad and he has lost TV privileges for at least a day ( you wouldn't believe the effect this has on him, and they are only allowed to watch about 30min a day roughly.)

Well, he is fine at breakfast, plays with the girls, gasp! and Andrew actually comes to play for a bit before Rayne goes home and all is happy again in the household. Though the thought of being with him for the whole day is not exactly a first choice of mine...

He redeems himself by helping grandma and his cousin get ready for a garage sale and he really did work his little butt off joyfully. Still no TV though he really did lobby and try for it. He did earn a couple of tokens out of it though.

round two...
Well, it is 4pm and our little Raya is not the token earning beauty she was at 3:59pm, she is now a raging emotional beast who is in desperate need of who knows what (well, we know it's sleep, though she is now at the point where we can never be right or her head spins and fire comes out of her ears. Thank you again Kellan for your morning wake up call/yell...)

She does sleep on the ride home and so we do have a pleasant drive, though she wakes up to a mildly beastly self, not quite a beauty yet. After dinner she is sent to her room as she has chosen to throw a major tantrum about a snack and refuses to make one of the two other wonderful choices given to her. She did in fact choose door number 3, the door to her room (she informed me via loud yelling that she can indeed make the choice to leave her room if she, "WANNNTTTTSSSSS TTTOOOOO!!!!! And included, "you are the worst mom, when is daddy coming home, he is better than YYYYYOOOOOUUUUUU!!!! Oh how I just love being a parent at times like this. There is about an infinite number of things I'd rather be doing at this moment including eating cheese- well ok, a close second I guess to eating cheese- b/c you all know how I hate cheese- it is really gross and disgusting...as is her behavior)
Kellan looks at me with an empathetic eye and goes to get a granola bar for Raya to ease her pain, and his and mine at this point, and looks at me again.
"Wow, she is really mad. When will she stop?"
"That was nice of you Kellan, but she can't have the bar yet. I really hope she stops soon. Remember this morning? You acted like this too."
"Oh, I did? (pause) Oooh, I guess I really did..." Bingo the light bulb FINALLY went on.
"She hasn't said stupid or idiot or I'm throwing you out the window though."
"yeah, but she said you are the worst mom and she hates you, but mine was bad and I did wake them up this morning..."

So he had to repeat her wonderful words back to me for effect, but the bottom line is that almost a day later, he got it! And tomorrow- he gets to watch a little tv again!

They both gave me (the hated mommy only moments ago) a hug and all is peaceful and in harmony again. I even got a sorry mom.

I do need to get my hair colored soon b/c some serious gray came out of today. Now I am tired and need my beauty rest for what is to come of tomorrow...
Which will be a really great day!!!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I am impressed at how you enforce consequences...so important! Sometimes it's hard to remember that they are like clay and we are the sculptors (to a point). I know I often feel like they should see what is so wrong with their behavior. It's up to us to teach them, though. It's like we've all heard before, it's the hardest and most rewarding job you'll ever have! I miss you!